Trekking4Trash: The day I trekked for trash

What is Trekking4Trash:
Michael Baretta and Camilla Howard are busy trekking 3000km along South Africa’s coastline. Their goal is to raise the awareness of litter and with the help of the public to collect 7 tons of it!

How I met them:
My Aunt Annie used to run the Beach Club at her school and is very clued up on environmental issues. Michael and Camilla were trekking through Herolds Bay and met up with Annie and her husband Doug while we were visiting my gran.

Me eating watermelon at Sandgate

Me: eating watermelon at Sandgate

All of us at Sandgate resting.

All of us at Sandgate resting.

Contact Trekkingng4Trash on their Website HERE

Contact Trekking4Trash on Facebook HERE.

Follow Trekking4Trash on Twitter @Trekking4Trash

What we did:

Our party walked with Michael and Camilla from Heroldsbay Beach to the Bird-Hide at Oubaai Golf Estate.

My dad and I in front of Trekking4Trash's truck.

My dad and I in front of Trekking4Trash’s truck (before bee sting)

I was going to walk from the beach to Sandgate, but was STUNG BY A  BEE  🙁  on my neck . So instead I went for some quick first aid up at the house and then we met the walkers at Sandgate where we had some watermelon and snacks with tea, before walking the second stretch.

Michael with his big special backpack filling up with trash.

Michael : his big special backpack filling up with trash.

We collected trash along the way, which Michael carried in a special bag on his back. Scruffy – uncle Doug’s dog – was brave even though he took a fall on treacherous rocky shore of the brink. we later discovered he had cut one of the pads under his foot, but still kept up bravely with his short little legs.

My dad taking pictures of the beautiful coastline almost at our final destination.

At the Bird Sanctuary we had some delicious cold snacks from Annie’s car-fridge. Most COOL!

Me drinking chilled water from the cooler bag.

Me: drinking chilled water from the cooler bag.

From there Michael and Camilla were headed off to Gwaing River Mouth. We said goodbye there, I hope they enjoyed the swim!

What the trek meant for me

The trek taught me that there are people out there who really care about the environment. So much so that they would be prepared to walk 3000km picking up several tons of trash along the way. Wow.  It was a real eye-opener to see all the trash that was collected while we observed the beautiful coast of the Garden Route.

Do me a favour and pick up litter if you see it. Better yet don’t litter in the first place. Period.

Tags: , ,

11 Responses to “Trekking4Trash: The day I trekked for trash”

1. Albert Combrink January 10, 2013 at 9:36 pm #

Very proud to have shared this experience with you. Always – ALWAYS – keep your eye on the important stuff. Set your goal and GO FOR IT.

2. Louise January 11, 2013 at 7:04 am #

Well done brave trekkers, that’s inspiring! Not an easy coastline to walk along. We should all try and help improve our surroundings because not helping is part of the problem! Thanks for the reminder.

3. Anna Morris January 11, 2013 at 2:10 pm #

Hi Robin,
    I was very impressed with Trekking4Trash and your participation. It reminded me of a photograph I found and posted in Feb of last year. With luck this url will take you there:
    Good luck for this New Year!
    Anna

4. Rob January 11, 2013 at 9:08 pm #

Wow Anna that is a wonderful photo
    and very meaningful too.

5. Trekking For Trah January 12, 2013 at 8:06 am #

Great post Rob! Thanks. Happy Birthday! We enjoyed having you with us.

6. Mel Walton January 13, 2013 at 9:48 am #

Happy Birthday Rob, you must be very smart to have your very own blog before your 13th birthday! Well, only just before! Congrats to your clever parents for teaching you so much in 13 short years . I remember the night my friend Paddy and I waited for your birth to be announced, it was the night of the 12th January and you kept us waiting till after midnight to be born on the 13th! When I first saw you, you were so tiny and skinny and look at you now! You are my height and we can look each other straight in the eye.In ten years time I will probably be tiny ans skinny and fit under your arm? My wish for your next year is that you :Co-operate with your parents and teachers, their time is precious and they give it generously to you.
    Enjoy everything you do even the hard stuff….like eating vegetables!
    Exercise your body as well as your mind they work together like wind and a kite.Fly high and dream dreams …you can reach your goals! love Gran

7. noels and andrew January 13, 2013 at 12:10 pm #

thanks for sharing that with us robbie

8. Trevor Stone January 13, 2013 at 7:51 pm #

Happy Birthday Robin. Many more happy ones from Aunt Arlene and Uncle trevor

• Rob January 20, 2013 at 9:14 pm #

Thanks so much for remembering my birthday. Hope we see you next holiday Uncle Trev 🙂

9. anneand doug January 13, 2013 at 10:21 pm #

Hi Rob Happy Birthday! This is a bit late in the day but hope you had a great day and that your year ahead is a special year. Thanks for joining us on the “trek” we really enjoyed being part of such a tremendous effort towards keeping our incredibly beautiful coastline healthy! love from Doug and Anne.

• Rob January 20, 2013 at 9:12 pm #

Thanks for the birthday wishes, wish we were still on holiday with you 🙂